Many people are learning the technology and trying to adopt the latest gadgets, and all the mobile applications come under the package. Slowly all the apps are becoming an essential part of human lives. As per the recent report by 2022, there would be approximately 258 billion users in the world of annual applications download.
There are their guides for new beginners as well as developing IT Companies that were launched in 2019 by Google. The guides are beneficial for the new beginners as well as the developing company’s, and it is very effective in the process of code review.
The process of code review includes a line to line code analysis, a source for the checklist, and for improvements, the new documentation is also required.
Here Are Some Major Exposure to Code Analysis
TRANSPARENCY IN DOCUMENTATION:
Finding yourself as a supporter of the existing application download. Generally, those who are developers, at the very primary stage they don’t work for their application rather they understand each line of code so that they can work on it.
Transparency in the understanding of code will lead to the faster development of the application. To verify whether all the relevant documentation has been updated or not, the code needs to be changed. If you have deleted the code, then all the documents related to it need to be deleted. Always check the codes and documents for logical errors.
Styling of code includes various points, which need to take care while writing the code:
- Comments: some comments are in the form of code which does not make any sense, or maybe written in a foreign language. Comments should be quite useful and clearly define what should be changed. Very frequently, English is used for commenting, which is not our native language.
English is used for two reasons:
1) In the future, developers of different countries might use source code for an android platform.
2) Open-source software is being frequently used by different companies all over the world as an active contributor
- Naming: For understanding the android code, naming conventions are necessary. In android code guidelines, all the naming conventions are given. Open source projects from android are having a list of structured examples of naming conventions.
While creating our code in styling, few minute details need to take care of, such as syntax errors, use of brackets, file structure, and white spaces. For making a standard code, use java style guide or Kotlin style guide.
For clean coding and code styling, there is a book on it named “CLEAN CODE: A HANDBOOK OF AGILE SOFTWARE CRAFTSMANSHIP,” which contains an exclusive set of recommendations for coding.
- Structural pattern: There is always a blueprint structural pattern of an application. It says work projects which will be carried out by the design and the team are going to implement it. It tells us how structural applications and technical standards need to be developed or built.
While doing the code review, it is very important to check whether the structural pattern has been implemented in the right way or not and also checks the cleanliness and correct connectivity between the components.
To verify, the mobile app development services provider had followed the principles of structural patterns by using the MODEL-VIEW-VIEW-MODEL for the development of the android application.
- Integrity: According to KISS Principle ( keep it short and simple), always try to avoid the unnecessary complexity in the programs. The key goal in the design should be simple. The code should be easily understandable to the manufacturers, and if we are making any changes, there should be no acceptance of the new bugs, after doing the code analysis.
- Handling of different errors: User inputs, database transaction, and the server responses are some common errors which is very likely to arise in any software project.The handling of different errors is essential for any kind of software project.
It is always not about the desertification to find errors. Handling of errors also involves informing what exactly went wrong and how the issue can be resolved.
- Analyse of test: Our dependence on the QA team is very high for successful plans. This test helps us to detect errors and to fix the errors in the early project cycle. Unless we don’t pass the code into the production department, we won’t be able to identify the problems in programs for specific functions.During inspection of Android code, we came to know how much % is being covered by the unit test.
Around 70-80% unit tests should take place to check whether code is stable or not. 20-30% of the functional tests should take place to make sure that the application is working or not.
- Keeping a check on performance : As mobile technology is developing very fast, the processing power of an android device is still limited, battery capacity is one of the very important resources. The memory of mobile phones is very limited. If we had not focused on the code performance we wouldn’t be able to launch the product in the market.
The performance of the application does not depend only on the code. It also depends on the other factors such as operating system, data services, network constraints, etc. which support the application.
To check the specific performance problems, we use an android profiler, which collects the data about its execution and diagnostic capabilities with stimulators to find out the root cause of the failure when something goes wrong.
- Security : Security code for android projects is very necessary because it helps us to find out the security vulnerabilities and find out the weak points. These weaknesses can partly secure the code and its policies or in the internal structure.Let us assume the data transactions taking place between the server and the client by using HTTPS\SSL. It is needed to be verified that the data is uncorrupted and check if the code itself is encrusted. Security code reveals the hidden backdoors and security bugs.
Security code for android projects is very necessary because it helps us to find out the security vulnerabilities and find out the weak points. These weaknesses can partly secure the code and its policies or in the internal structure.
Tools for reviewing the Android code:
Reviewing the code, it needs lots of effort and time, and it is a good development activity. Sometimes the application becomes more complex, and the more the manufacturer starts working on it, which requires more sources for the review. It improves development by checking the code against the requirement. There are some popular codes reviews are as follows:
It is a tool which verifies whether the code goes with the relevant style, but it only verifies the java code.
it aimlessly works with build frameworks and can easily accommodate CI engines. It can further work with 27 programming languages.
it is a tracking system that allows code testing and reviews. Static code automatically helps the developers to identify and locate replica, intricacy, violating of style, and security matters. It identifies with the 28 programming language. GitHub, BitBucket, and Gitlab can easily be attached.
For reviewing each and every code we had created checklists and some basic codes for improvements that are by fixing the problems which were found, to do the project from scratch again, separating the code for more maintenance and reliable and understandable and clean too, re-reviewing some basic parts of the code, to do operations with a database and changing a library.